Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Governor speaks

Hmmmmm....... I was not sure how I would feel about hearing Gov. Gregoire speak tonight. I have been a HUGE Gregoire fan since her time as AG. She came and spoke to my students about internet safety years ago and earned my respect. Following the recount drama, you could drive down a little street in Walla Walla and see a lone Gregoire for Governor lawn sign that stayed up from October until that day in January (Feb?) when Gregoire was finally officially declared Washington's governor. It wasn't that I was too lazy to take it down, but rather I refused to take down the sign until I was sure she no longer needed my support in the election.
I continued to support her and agree with her and feel happy that I had a governor that understood and appreciated educational needs of our state.

And then 2009 legislative session began.....

I recognize that the economy of our state has suffered and is suffering. I understand that the collection of taxes has been reduced greatly due to reduced spending in all areas of our state. I get that. But I also have been crushed by the realities that have bombarded K-12 education this spring. I just felt soooooo disappointed and discouraged and dejected. What could Governor Gregoire say tonight that would assuage my feelings?

She made a nice effort. She maybe said enough of the right things. I'm not sure. I like that she promised us her respect, appreciation, thanks and support. I like that she urges us to have a voice at the table beside her as we determine the fallout of HB2261 and attempt to determine the educational agenda and goals of Washington state. She's a nice lady. I admire her still. I am not thrilled. I'm ready to see what will happen in the future. So, here's to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment